During this phase in growth and development, the focus is to encourage a whole food diet and to consume the right balance of macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals). Young athletes between the ages of 8-11 years old should be starting to understand the foods that will fuel them properly before and after activity. It is key for athletes in this age group to start to understand what to eat and how to eat to perform optimally.
During this phase, athletes should start to understand the importance of fuelling properly to optimize performance and recovery. At this point in an athlete's development, they should be able to recognize what foods are going to help provide energy during exercise and which foods are going to help speed up recovery. Extra nutrients are needed to support growth and development in this phase. Through proper nutritional efforts at this age athletes will avoid fatigue and decrease the risk of injury.
Athletes ages 14+ should have a good grasp on fuelling their bodies properly for optimal performance and recovery. At this point, athletes should be conscious about the quantity of consumption with macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) and in addition proper supplementation to optimize performance and enhance recovery. Extra nutrients are needed to support growth and development in this phase. It is important for athletes to understand balancing energy expenditure to prevent an energy deficit or energy excess.
Through the Gary Roberts APP athletes receive the following:
- Meal and snack options
- Pre- and post-workout/activity meal suggestions
- Goal-oriented nutritional information
- Easy family-friendly recipes
- Tips and tools for preparing meals on the road
- Tips and tools for meal planning for athletic events
- Nutritional tips (e.g. how to live a healthy lifestyle on a busy family schedule etc.)
- Nutrition educational resources (e.g. what are good sources of carbohydrates, proteins and fats etc.)
- Access to blog posts and up-to-date nutritional information